Re: accel group internal functions

On 8 Sep 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After looking at it, I think some of the funcitons labeled internal
> are required to do anything useful with accel groups:
>
>  void           gtk_accel_group_attach          (GtkAccelGroup
> *accel_group,
>                                                  GObject
> *object);
> void            gtk_accel_group_detach          (GtkAccelGroup
> *accel_group,
>                                                  GObject
> *object);
> void            gtk_accel_group_add             (GtkAccelGroup
> *accel_group,
>                                                  guint
> accel_key,
>                                                  GdkModifierType
> accel_mods,
>                                                  GtkAccelFlags
> accel_flags,
>                                                  GObject
> *object,
>                                                  const gchar
> *accel_signal);
> void            gtk_accel_group_remove          (GtkAccelGroup
> *accel_group,
>                                                  guint
> accel_key,
>                                                  GdkModifierType
> accel_mods,
>                                                  GObject
> *object);
>
> Of course, the whole thing is still of limited utility since you can
> only have an accelerator activate a signal, instead of a callback, but
> that's a 2.2 issue...
>
> Nearly everything in the header needs to be public if we allow other
> people to implement the "magic change accelerators in place" feature
> for their widgets, but I don't think we should necessarily do that.

Sorry I haven't been following this very much.  I wrote some simple proof
of concept action based menu code a while back available at:
  http://www.daa.com.au/~james/files/gmenu.tar.gz

This implements a new GObject type implementing the accel group
"interfaces".  The functions in that demo should not be made private, as
anyone wanting to write action based menu code for 2.2 will need those
functions to do the accel support and it is easier to develop these things
with the stable platform.

James.