Big trouble with Euro locales (iso8859-15)

Hija,

it seems Gtk+ 1.2.x has big troubles with resolving fonts in
de_DE euro for instance. This is a new locale that has been created
for the purpose of supporting the EU as best as possible and has
accordingly setting for example to support the european currency symbol.

The problem should be easy to reproduce; use this or a similar setting
for LANG and experience the problems using the fonttool in GIMP for
instance. You can bring up the font dialog and preview all of them
but most scalable fonts will fail to render in the imagewindow with an
error dialog. This behaviour is reproducable among all Gtk+ application
while normal X applications work fine in all situations.

I really consider this a heavy blocker since people in Europe WILL want
to be able to use the currency symbole as well when the Euro is
officially the currency to use in Europe with the beginning of next
year.

Any ideas?

Addition: This is definitely triggered by using an iso8859-15 locale
and only appears with postscript fonts for example the urw ones.
I poked around a bit in the code but still haven't been able to identify
the exact problem. I'll probably file a bugreport on this and CC every
important developer.

--
Servus,
       Daniel