Re: Pango font API problems, gnome-print

Tim Janik <timj gtk org> writes:

> On 11 Sep 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > I think the right way to mark things evolving is to surround them
> > in the header files with:
> >
> > #ifndef PANGO_ENABLE_EVOLVING
> > #endif /* PANGO_ENABLE_EVOLVING */
>
> i think this should be:
>
> #ifdef PANGO_ENABLE_EVOLVING
> #endif /* PANGO_ENABLE_EVOLVING */

Yeah, it's in this direction, just a typo here.

> so to have to explicitely enable this API.
> what exactly will users want to use this API for btw?
> (asking to figure whether it couldn't just be
> "_" prefixed).

There are two uses, and I've split them out in my current
patch:

 PANGO_ENABLE_BACKEND

  API needed when writing new backends needed for pangox, pangoxft,
  pangoft2, pangowin32 libraries, and also for gnome-print.

 PANGO_ENABLE_ENGINE

  Needed when writing language and shaper modules.

Neither of these can be handled with _ prefixing because _ prefixed
symbols aren't exported from the library and the symbols are
needed externally.