GtkCTree not updating selection immediatly

Hi,

I am writing an application with GtkCtree, unfortunatly I have to use GTk 1.2.

When a node is selected, I try to select all the children of the node with
gtk_ctree_select_resursive.

This works fine if i select using the arrow keys, i.e all the children also turn
blue, but using the mouse and clicking on the parent node, does not seem to
update the children, and only the parent is shown highlighted.

Hiding the window and reshowing it though, the children get highlighted?

Anyone know a solution to this?
Thanks
Louise