GtkCTree problems

Hello,

I am doing development  with gtk+-1.2.10,  Intel, Linux, Redhat 7.1, and
am having some problems with
using the GtkCTree widget.

I understand that this widget is deprecated, so I am unclear if bugs or
issues should be reported, as
developers may only be concerned with the new version of Gtk.

In any case, I am getting the following two errors, which I believe are
bugs:

By simply  repeatedly
   expanding a large tree, followed by collapsing the tree, using the
standard API calls of

gtk_ctree_expand_recursive(GTK_CTREE(gui.tree1),GTK_CTREE_NODE(data));
and
 gtk_ctree_collapse_recursive(GTK_CTREE(gui.tree1),GTK_CTREE_NODE(data));

where each command is triggered in the app GUI via a gtk_menu_popup
menu_item select call located under the mouse
arrow, on the appropriate row of the tree , I start to get
warnings such as:

1)

Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_widget_size_allocate(): attempt to allocate widget
with width 33333 and height 1

Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_widget_size_allocate(): attempt to allocate widget
with width 34108 and height 1

etc...

2)
Additionally,  I sometimes get repaint problems after the
gtk_ctree_collapse   call, but *only* when clicking on the
root GtkCTreeNode of the tree, and not the child nodes.
 e.g.
    the following tree has a root node "Browser"

            Browser
                  Data1
                  Data2

sometimes, when all items are collapsed by ,  appears as
                  Data2

leaving the last node in the window, when it  __should__ be only
rendered as
             Browser

When I re-click on the erroniously rendered Data2 node, (it really is
the "Browser" node), it works as it should,
 re-rendering the Browser node correctly.  This happens only
sporradically e.g.  1 in 10 clicks to collapse the root node -
but it definitely needs a work -around.

Cheers,
Dave Linenberg

dlinenbe home com