Re: Testing GLib cross compilation

Owen Taylor writes:
 > Probably the build/ directory needs some help for cross-compilation;
 > probably simply adding:
 >
 >  AC_CHECK_TOOL(WINRES, winres)
 >
 > to configure.in, and then using $(WINRES) instead of winres
 > in the Makefile.am.

(It's windres, not winres)

Actually, as windres is used to compile the resource file which only
contains version (and copyright) information, the resources could
without harm be left out from the DLLs completely when building "just
for yourself". I would say they are meaningful only when building for
public distribution, so that end-users can check from
Properties:Version what version (and "build number") a DLL actually
is.

It would probably be easiest to check for windres in configure.in, and
if not found, don't define G_LIB_WIN32_RESOURCE at all, and/or bypass
related rules with an automake conditional.

And, there is ample room for improvements and redesign in the whole
admittedly very hackish and crappy setup with the compile-resource and
lt-compile-resource scripts, including the mess with different
versions of libtool using either small script snippets or copies of
the .o files as .lo files... Note the comment in compile-resource:

# This is just my (tml iki fi) idea, if somebody comes up with a
# better way to generate version number resources, don't hesitate to
# suggest.

--tml