Re: Some initial thoughts about 2.4

Matthias Clasen <maclas gmx de> writes:

> >   - Ports were playing catchup for GDK changes again.
> >     (2.4 should have substantially less GDK changes)
>
> Whats the status of the ports anyway ? Is Win32 considered "official" by
> now (this was the plan back in March) ?

That's up to Tor, really. In the 2.2 release announcement,
I used the wishy-washy phrase "substantially complete".

Probably to make a port really official, we'd want to
make sure that:

 A) We have documentation about how to build the port
    from sources.
 B) We make sure that the released tarballs actually build
    according to those instructions. (And maybe, for
    hard-to-build ports, provide binaries at the same
    time as the source release.)

> Looking back at the "GTK+-2.x planning" thread back in March, here are
> some more things that were mentioned for 2.4 or 2.6 back then:

Cool... thanks for the list.

> * Real standardization of XSETTINGS/XEMBED

These are proceeding along slowly ... basically independent
of GTK+ development at this point.

> * Reworked tooltips (#50619, #56291, #62174, #65490)
> * Autocompletion and history for GtkEntry (#69613)
> * Disclosure triangle widget
> * GnomeColorPicker style selection buttons for colors, fonts, etc
> * Optimized pixbuf operations (scaling down a lot, unscaled ops)

These all could be 2.4 items; the tooltips issue will take
some investigation ... it might end up being a major amount
if it got combined with context-sensitive help. If that
was the case, it probably should wait for 2.6.

> * Icon list widget
> * Sheet widget
> * Dock widget

I think we probably have enough new API for 2.4 as it is without these
items, though some sort of icon list widget (perhaps not-exported for
2.4) may be needed. So, I'd expect these to be 2.6-or-later items.