Re: Some initial thoughts about 2.4

Biswapesh Chattopadhyay:

> o I have tried FOX, GTK1, QT, Windows and GTK2 versions of Scintilla
> and the GTK2 version feels the slowest by far.

   I expect this is more my fault than GTK+ 2 as Scintilla's GTK+ 2 support
is the minimum required to get the code running under GTK+ 2. There is no
use of the newer text rendering calls, instead the old and IIRC deprecated,
gdk_draw_text and gdk_text_width would feature very heavily in a profile.
The code is this way to shorten porting time and to facilitate simultaneous
support of both GTK+ 1.2 and 2.x. While I would like to modernise this code
properly I don't currently have much time and downstream projects don't seem
all that interested in helping out.

   You should ensure you are running against Scintilla 1.49 as a font cache
was added for GTK+, mainly to accelerate font sets when in Unicode mode. As
the cache is not sticky, it may pay to keep an extra Scintilla widget with
your common fonts set up, and briefly display it to ensure font allocation.

   Neil