Re: -I/usr/include -L/usr/lib

Ali Akcaagac <ali akcaagac stud fh-wilhelmshaven de> writes:
> if i understand you correctly then its the known problem that gcc cant
> find /usr/local/include or other includes because it usually points to
> the prefix one. so a lot of people add these patchs explicit to their
> packages in hope they work.

The issue is that /usr/include is automatically in the search path
that gcc uses, and you can't get rid of it. If you add -I/usr/include,
then it moves /usr/include from the end of the search path to
somewhere closer to the front; that results in problems if you have
some libraries installed twice, once in /usr/include and once
elsewhere. Also, gcc 3.1 prints a warning each and every time it sees
-I/usr/include, which is really annoying.

People put /usr/include in the Cflags of their .pc files because it's
hard to special-case that in configure.in.

Havoc