Re: glib/pango/gtk+ API stability

Erwann Chenede <Erwann Chenede Sun COM> writes:

> Hi glib/pango/gtk+ maintainers,
>
> I think I remember that a while back Owen said that not all
> the gtk+'s API were stable. GtkSettings was one of them as
> far as I can recall.
>
> Did I just dreamt about it ?
>
> If not could you give me a list of API that are not
> considered as stable (and should not really be used)
> in the upcoming gtk+ 2.0 release.
>
> I'm looking for such information for glib, pango and gtk+.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Erwann
>
> PS : in case you are wondering this is needed for
> Sun's architectural review.

The unstable API's all require special #defines to be made
before using them. They are:

 The Pango backend API: PANGO_ENABLE_BACKEND
 The Pango module API: PANGO_ENABLE_MODULE
 The GtkTextLayout API: GTK_TEXT_USE_INTERNAL_UNSUPPORTED_API

All other API's are considered stable. There are, of course,
API's that should not be used for other reasons:

 API's protected with GDK_ENABLE_BROKEN/GTK_ENABLE_BROKEN must
 not be used in production.

 API's guarded with #ifndef G/GDK/GTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED have
 preferred replacements. (But are supported.)