Re: _LIBICONV_H

On Thu, 2002-02-07 at 15:46, Sander Vesik wrote:
> On 7 Feb 2002, Ali Akcaagac wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2002-02-07 at 15:14, Miroslaw Dobrzanski-Neumann wrote:
> > > on AIX there is libiconv.a in /usr/lib from IBM and the corresponding iconv.h
> > > in /usr/include so I always fall in the error condition in line 51
> >
> > a little text :)
> >
> > there are 2 ways in getting iconv support. if the system (no certain
> > plattform named now) has glibc 2.2.x support then iconv is already build
> > in and comes with that tarball.
> >
> > the other way is if the system uses glibc 2.1.x then you need an
> > addational libiconv package (downloadable from ftp.gnu.org) i cant
> > recall right now if the last way is 100% correct but i think thats
> > correct.
>
> The 'everybody is using either glibc 2.1 or 2.2' take on this is *NOT*
> funny at all. Lots of people don't use *ANY* kind of glibc at all.
>
> [snip]

thank you for your private email,

i hope you dont mind if i reply publically to the list.. did you read my
previous mail until end or did you stop reading it at the line where you
entered ''[snip]'' ?

i reply publically to clear up some misunderstandings. well i use glibc
as my previous reply because "i only know of glibc behaviour only" i
absolutely know that on other systems, people use other libc thats why i
continued writing with 'libc' instead of 'glibc'. i know and recall
about some similar situations on balsa development some months back,
where people did something similar with libconv tweaking in configure.

instead trying to demonstrate me to the public, you should tell me whats
wrong with my 2 cents of reviewing ONE possible scenario. it dont hurt
checking up if the libc used on aix supports iconv or not and to check
up if it supports it why there is a need to install a separate pack.

your next reply may contain lines like 'sorry dude aix internal libc
doesnt support iconv or, the named /usr/lib/libiconv.a is part of the
libc used on the system' or something. it helps me understanding facts
better and it also helps for future 'similar' problems that others may
be getting.

--
Name....: Ali Akcaagac
E-Mail..: mailto:ali akcaagac stud fh-wilhelmshaven de