Re: Module search mess

----- Original Message -----
From: "Owen Taylor" <otaylor redhat com>
To: <gtk-devel-list gnome org>
Cc: <timj gtk org>
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 3:36 PM
Subject: Module search mess

> I'd like to go with the following simple algorithm:
>
>  Set:
>
>  path = $GTK_PATH ${libdir}/gtk-2.0 $HOME/.gtk-2.0

I think it would be slightly better to look in $HOME before $libdir, because
it would allow
users to override system defaults, although this is admittedly more relevant
for config files
than for loadable modules...

>  * Is having to put your modules in subdirs of the path corresponding
>    to the type OK?

I think there may be some justification  for an additional environment
variable pointing directly to
a module directory (i.e. no subdirectories involved), like GTK_MODULE_PATH
does currently
(but without the $version subdir feature). The algorithm would then be:

first look in $GTK_MODULE_PATH
if not found use the algorithm outlined above.

Matthias