Re: [Usability] RFC: #61866

On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 11:29, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> David Moles <david moles vykor com> writes:
>
> > Out of curiosity, is there a way (in internationalization, for instance)
> > to lay out the tree right-to-left, and in that case what happens to
> > these "move focus" keys?
>
> Right.  C-f is forward, C-b is back, Left is left, and Right is right.
> In a L->R language C-f == Right and C-b == Left.  In a R->L language,
> these are reversed.

Seems like it would be easy to screw that up -- if the developer
was thinking in Emacs terms, but you're using a Windows-style
keyboard theme, you might find on switching to Arabic or whatever
that Left suddenly meant right and Right suddenly meant left. Or,
conversely, that C-f suddenly meant backwards and C-b forwards --
though I suppose if your whole environment is in Arabic you're
probably not thinking f-for-forward and b-for-backward anyway. :)

Is implementing "forward" and "backward" separate from "left" and
"right" something the internationalization libraries help you do,
or is it something you'd have to be lucky to think of?