Re: centering child dialogs on parent windows in gtk+ 2.0

Michael Meeks <michael ximian com> writes:
> Hi Havoc,
>
> On Fri, 2002-02-22 at 15:37, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > What is it if it isn't a dialog? (Just curious, but also want to be
> > sure the WM spec covers this case.)
>
> 	I think it's used for the 'copying in progress' type thing, that is not
> transient with the window it's in front of, nor is it modal.

A copy progress dialog would normally be set transient for the window
it's over, yes.

All transient means is "this window is associated with the window
under it" - if you set the thing transient, and it's a dialog, the WM
will normally center it over the parent and keep it on top of the
parent.

> 	Sure - it's just not very elegant whatsoever ;-) I was hoping there
> might be a nice window manager hint for that, is there not ?

I'm pretty sure the hint is the transiency hint. If the effect you
want is "center over parent and keep above parent" then that's what
the transiency hint does with most WMs.

Havoc