Re: Pango installation failure

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Owen Taylor wrote:

> I'd really like to switch our tarballs to be --disable-gtk-doc by
> default:
>
>  * It won't break if the Jade or gtk-doc setup is there but
>    not fully functional.
>  * Its a whole lot faster.
>
> But I can't figure out how to get distcheck to work right
> if --disable-gtk-doc is the default.
>
>  * I want to require gtk-doc in order to do 'make dist'.
>
>  * 'make distcheck' now runs a 'make dist' in the distributed
>    tarball.
>
>  * There is no way to control the options used to ./configure
>    on the distributed tarball.
>
> The only thing I can see doing is to copy the automake 'distcheck'
> rules into a 'mydistcheck'.

since gtkdoc-scangobj requires the built objects, if you want the
dist-hook to call gtkdoc you have to have run make beforehand. We went
through these issues with gstreamer -- if you're interested in how we
solved the issues, you can take a look at our solution at
http://gstreamer.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/lxr/http/source/docs/gst/Makefile.am#L173
.

regards,

wingo.