Re: Vrooom

Hi Owen,

Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:

> Couple of things going on here:
>
>  - There is no _hardware_ reason that DirectFB couldn't
>    support RGBA surfaces of this type; DirectFB has to
>    copy the data into video memory, it could convert
>    it at the same time, without significant performance
>    loss.

yes, we could do that but it would be a pain since we do
support all drawing operations on all surfaces types in the
software renderer too. Adding new surface formats adds
complexity to the software rasterizer and should be avoided
if possible.

>  - To do this sort of thing, we'd have to either have change
>    tracking or an immutable flag on GdkPixbuf. We don't
>    so it isn't an option for 2.0. (*)

I wasn't suggesting anything for 2.0 here. My intention was
to point out possible optimizations so they can be considered
for future development.

Salut, Sven