Popping up a menu using a keystroke

If gtk_menu_popup() is called because of a keystroke event, the first menu item
in the menu is selected. The first menu item is not selected if gtk_menu_popup()
is called because of a button press. The comments in the code refer to this as a
"bad hack".

What is the reason for selecting the first menu item?

This has bitten me trying to implement popping up the context menu using
Shift+F10 for the panel. I had hoped that the behavior would be the same as
pressing button 3.

Padraig