Re: New release of GTK+ libraries (1.3.12)

Hallo Tor,

Am 2002-01-10 um 00:58 schriebst du:

> Gerrit P. Haase writes:
>  > > Calls to those *are* already in GLib, I was just indicating that you
>  > > do need to stuff from the Win32 API even if building for Cygwin.

>  > I meant to add some of the features to Cygwin so I don't need to
>  > define WIN32.

> Adding the whole locale framework to Cygwin would be a rather big
> undertaking, especially if you don't want to just drop in some
> existing suitable open source locale code but want it to still reflect
> the underlying Windows regional settings. (For instance, if you want
> strftime() to use the date formats set in the Control Panel.)

> But Cygwin runs on Win32 anyway, so I don't really see the point in
> pretending Win32 isn't there and can't be used, for things that aren't
> implemented in Cygwin, like locales?

Yes, we can use some calls to Win32 API.

Anyway, Cygwin and MinGW/Windows are two different platforms just like
AIX and Linux are different too.  You cannot mix that in the sources, we
have two platforms, two definitions, __CYGWIN__ and WIN32/__MINGW__.

It helps a little that glib is already ported to native Win32 platforms
with MinGW as compiler, but it is not possible to put all the Cygwin stuff
into this drawer, it is another platform and needs its own setup.

> Try the following program on Cygwin:

[...]

> Then try it with mingw (or MSVC). You will notice Cygwin always says
> the locale is "C", while MSVCRT (the Microsoft C library) uses locale
> names like "English.United_States.1252", and knows how to separately
> set the different categories.

Great,  but this will not work on Cygwin unless someone contributes this
to newlib/libcygwin.

>  > I want to build for native Cygwin platform and never define WIN32.

> What is a "native Cygwin platform"? Isn't Cygwin by definition a
> non-native platform?

`native-cygwin' is everything which is linked against libcygwin.a, I
cannot link both, libcygwin and libmsvcrt, so if some locale calls aren't
available in newlib/libcygwin, then I don't use them.

And for Cygwin I usual don't need and don't want to define WIN32, the same
for MinGW where WIN32 is defined by default and  __CYGWIN__ is not.

>  > Now I have also problems going further with `atk', the tools from
>  > glib are crashing.

> Is it perhaps glib-mkenums that crashes? The file atkobject.h triggers
> a crash in the Cygwin Perl. ActiveState's Perl 5.6.1 handles it OK...

Yes, so this is because glib-mkenums fails to do its job, but I didn't
got an error of perl?  And it is only because of s.th. in atkobject.h?
Do you have an idea what in this file causes an error?  What fails in
Perl?

Gerrit
--
=^..^=                                        mailto:gp familiehaase de