Re: Default fg_gc[GTK_STATE_SELECTED]

Owen Taylor wrote:

> Bill Haneman <bill haneman sun com> writes:
>
> > Havoc Pennington wrote:

> > > This gc should be used for selectable label text, when the label is
> > > selected.
> >
> > Hmm, OK, but that means selected labels are quite hard to read,
> > why not use text_gc instead ?
>
> You always use either:;
>
>  text[STATE] on base[STATE]
>
> or:
>
>  fg[STATE] on bg[STATE]
>
> Never mixed. For some reason, we used to always use:
>
>  fg[SELECTED] on bg[SELECTED]
>
> even when drawing text that would normally be:
>
>  text[NORMAL] on base[NORMAL]
>
> The new canonical thing is that we use:
>
>  text[SELECTED] on base[SELECTED]
>
> At the same time we did this, we switched the color scheme for
> text[SELECTED] on base[SELECTED] to be dark-on-light instead of
> light-on-dark, but fg[SELECTED] on bg[SELECTED] is still the old
> white-on-blue. (I think this is just a temporary condition, though
> it makes it easy to spot the CLists since they have the old color
> scheme.)
>
> If things aren't legible, you are mixing fg/base or text/bg.

OK, the problem is not text legibility, it's focus line legibility.

We use fg on bg, which for SELECTED is not really easy to see.

Perhaps it's OK, and we can just change fg[SELECTED] for
GtkTreeView.  Note the GtkCalendar does some weird stuff here, mixing
(it seems) text and bg, different states, willy-nilly when
rendering the dates.  Maybe that's a bug...

-Bill