Re: Scoring visuals in GdkRGB

[CCing Brian Nitz, who opened bug #86540]

On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 19:04, Owen Taylor wrote:

> What worries me is that I've seen XFree86 advertising true/static-color
> visuals along with the 8bpp display, but implemented them via colormap
> switching.
>
> In fact, I think this is normal for XFree86 in 8bpp.

Wouldn't that be a server misfeature, then?  It shouldn't advertise
visuals that it cannot generate without making everything else look
ugly.

> Are we sure that the same thing isn't true of this display?

No idea.  I played with 8-bit truecolor visuals on a really old Sun box
a long time ago, but I don't remember if there was colormap flashing or
not.

Brian, what's the word on this?

  Federico