Re: [Fwd: ORBit2 cross compiling.] - glib cross compiling

Am Mit, 2002-07-31 um 20.57 schrieb Sven Neumann:

> if the values can be determined reliably at compile-time, then this
> approach is fine. You won't be able to do this for all values in
> questions.

Exactly.

But there are a lot values left which can be changed to be compiletime
determined, for instance the ones which contain the size of a certain
type: autoconf uses a quite tricky approach to determine the size of
common types (like int, short, etc...) by creating a C program which
declares an array which size is determined by a statement that will
compute into a negative value at compiletime (and thus force the
compiler to abort) if the size of the type was guessed incorrectly.

However for some types glib uses it's own macro GLIB_SIZEOF which uses
the lazy man approach by compiling and running a program which outputs
the sizeof () of the type.

This doesn't work as nice and requires manual work by the one who's
trying to crosscompile.

If a patch to convert to the autoconf scheme was accepted I'd be glad
to write it.

> > - Extending the configuration to predefine correct answers for popular
> >   systems identified by triplets. Depending on how widespread some of
> >   the tests are this might also go into a general macrofile which could
> >   be used from other applications also. Disadvantage: bloat.

> the same applies here, it shouldn't be the glib developers job to
> create and maintain such defaults.

This is not what I meant. Consider I would fill in the holes by
providing powerpc-linux values in form of a patch, would it have a
chance to be integrated?

--
Servus,
       Daniel