Re: GTK 2.0 5 times slower than 1.2

S. Eken wrote:

I am porting software from GTK version 1.2 to version 2.0
and I encountered the problem that the GTK 2.0 version
takes much longer to initialize (up to 5 times with simple
programs) than the GTK 1.2 version. The increase in
communication with the X server seems to be at least part
of the phenomenon.

Also the way GTK 2.0 behaves seems to be extremely dependend
on the version of the X server used and if any GTK 2.0
application has run before. Below you can see the results
of my experiments with different GTK and X server versions.

In addition you will find the source code of the program I
used to perform the tests.

I would be thankful for any hint how to reduce the
initialization time of GTK 2.0 applications and/or how to
reduce or speed up communication with the X server.
This is probably due to listing all the fonts on the server. You should get faster startup times using the Xft backend for Pango (export GDK_USE_XFT=1).

James.

--
Email: james daa com au              | Linux.conf.au 2003 Call for Papers out
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/ |   http://conf.linux.org.au/cfp.html