Re: testinput - how to get events when coreptr not in window

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 01:29:01PM +0800, James Henstridge wrote:
> First of all, this is a list for development _of_ gtk+, rather than
> _with_ gtk+.  Maybe your question would have been more appropriate on
> gtk-list or gtk-app-devel-list.

oops. thats a good point.
I think that my question may need an addition to gtk+ to make it possible
though, which is why perhaps it is still applicable to this list.

> gtk_widget_set_extension_events() works with GtkWidgets (which are
> equivalent to Xt widgets rather than xlib Window objects).  You might
> want to try gdk_input_set_extension_events(), which works with a
> GdkWindow (such as the root parent).

ah yes. I discovered that a little bit after I sent the email.

However, my ideal goal is to make the minimum of adjustments to existing
code, which means keeping to the gtk type of level of things.

eg: do a gtk_signal_connect() to register a callback for root window
events, and then forget about that stuff, rather than have to deal with
gdk_XXX stuff.

If there is no official method to get and use root-window events through
gtk mechanisms... maybe there should be?

Presumably, all that this would involve, would be creating an official
gtk object/wrapper for the root window. As far as I've found, there
currently isnt such an object.

How does that sound?
Is this the wrong arena for that suggestion?