Re: GTK+ Modules and GDK

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 02:12:06PM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
>  E) Make modules export a special entry point indicating
>     that they are "multihead aware". If they don't export
>     it, then don't initializate them until a default
>     display has been set up.
>
>     (This entry point could be 'gtk_module_init2()', a cleaner
>     looking way to do it would be to say that if a module exports
>     gtk_module_init_display(), then the gtk_module_init()
>     will be called initially, and gtk_module_init_display()
>     for each display.)

	I must admit I can't quickly come up with a situation where I'd
want to start a GUI toolkit without a GUI, but the ability for GTK+ and
modules to do per-display work is obviously needed.  I like your E)
solution with the init()/init_display() calls.  It covers all the bases
and cleanly maps to the problem space, whereas some of the other
solutions are roundabout or unintuitive to the module programmer.

Joel

--

"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so."
        -Douglas Adams

			http://www.jlbec.org/
			jlbec evilplan org