Re: Dependency libraries and ABI

Around 10 o'clock on Feb 28, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> So is Xft2 ABI-locked already or just "will be soon"? (I'm sure
> someone already answered this question and I just missed it.)

The intent is to leave it stable; I've got Qt3, Mozilla, Gtk+ 2.0,
Sawfish and a few other misc things running with no ABI changes since I
committed it to XFree86 CVS.

The interfaces are pretty narrow now, so it should be possible to make
future changes without needing to bump the major number of the library.

I was nearly able to make Xft 2 binary compatible except for the
XftFontStruct which exposed just a bit too much of the underlying
implementation.  Once I decided to bail on that, I made several more
changes to clean things up.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        Compaq Cambridge Research Lab