Re: [G2R] hpaned in file selection

Hi Tim,

On Sun, 2002-03-03 at 07:01, Tim Janik wrote:
> though we don't expect any real world breakage from adding
> a hpaned to the widget ancestry, we meant to give a heads
> up about the change because the FS has been know to be lots

	Thanks - the change sounds fine from an API point of view.

> of fooled around with in third-party applications. (though,
> people who add widgets to it should really constrain
> changes to the ->action_area which is not affected).

	From a programming perspective one might wonder out loud, why (since we
now have a multiple file selection API) the internal widgetry cannot be
hidden inside a private internal structure so that people who want to
poke at it's implementation details can't [1], oh and so that it can be
trivially, efficiently & bin-compatibly expanded later etc. :-) I know
the Gtk+ team doesn't like private structures, but I never understood
quite why [ esp. for a 'big' widget like a file selector ].

	Thanks for the heads up & it's great to have a better file selector.

	Regards,

		Michael.

[1] - yes clearly people can fool around in the widget hierarchy, but
it's lot harder than GTK_TREE_MODEL (fs_widget->list)->foo->baz->baa
type thing, and more obviously wrong ;-)