Re: versioning the 2.0 release

Owen wrote:
> Let Z (the micro version) be the last part of the GTK+ release
> (so 10 for GTK+-1.2.10)

> Let A (the interface age) be the number of releases since we last
> made additions to the interfaces.

> Then the libtool triplet "current:revision:age" is
> "Z-A:A:Z-A".

Umm, reading configure.in and the Makefile.am files, that should be
Z-A:A:B-A, where B is the "binary age", the number of releases since
last making a binary incompatible change?

LT_CURRENT=`expr $GTK_MICRO_VERSION - $GTK_INTERFACE_AGE`
LT_REVISION=$GTK_INTERFACE_AGE
LT_AGE=`expr $GTK_BINARY_AGE - $GTK_INTERFACE_AGE`

and

 -version-info $(LT_CURRENT):$(LT_REVISION):$(LT_AGE)

> With standard elf versioning, this produces a library
> name libgtk-X.Y.so.0.(Z-A).A

Looking at libtool, shouldn't that be libgtk-X.Y.so.(Z-B).(B-A).A
(where the Z-B is calculated by libtool as "current - age", i.e

        linux)
          major=.`expr $current - $age`
          versuffix="$major.$age.$revision"

(That "linux" meaning "version_type", with "linux" being used also for
Solaris, for instance.)

--tml