Re: GTK+-2.0.0 release notes

Owen Taylor writes:

> * The default configuration of GTK+ has been stream-lined to reduce
> confusion on the part of new users or users coming from other
> environments. Users used to older versions of GTK+ may want to make
> some adjustments to the default configuration.
>
>    - Emacs keybindings such as Control-A and Control-E to move to
>    the ends of lines are not enabled by default in the editing
>    widgets. To turn on Emacs keybindings, add the line:
>
>       gtk-key-theme-name = "Emacs"
>
>      To your ~/.gtkrc.

This has to be one of the most braindead moves in the history of the
world. Now we're disabling emacs keybindings from 99% of the linux
desktops of the world because windows users aren't used to it? I don't
understand the argument, what do they care if ctrl+a and ctrl+e do,
they can use home/end and never know there are other, more
ergonomical/faster ways available too.

Even qt in its windows version has ctrl+a and ctrl+e, for christ's
sake. Considering the professionalism of qt's windows-version I think
they would have removed those if users had complained too loudly about
them, but apparently no one has.

I don't want to live in a world where qt in windows has emacs
keybindings and gtk in linux doesn't. Please revert this change.

--
Osku Salerma - osku iki fi - http://www.iki.fi/osku/
Information wants to be free.