Re: GTK+-2.x planning

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 12:04:00PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Jonathan Blandford <jrb redhat com> writes:
> > I18N.  You can't easily use input methods that way.  Also, I got very
> > frustrated accidentally hitting letters when I thought I had focus
> > elsewhere.  Maybe I'm just klutzy, but when it worked like that, it
> > drove me nuts.
>
> I still agree with Marc - I think most users won't find the Ctrl+f
> feature, and I think the i18n thing can be sorted out in some way.
> See what XP does for a list with multiple languages in it perhaps.

	I buy into both reasonings.  Auto-search is really intrusive and
annoying, but the C-whatever search is completely unintuitive.  There
needs to be an API for two operations.  turn-on-auto-search, and
pop-up-search-from-other-button.  Both make sense in separate
situations.  Auto-search makes perfect sense in a dialog where the
TreeView is the only real widget.  The user is supposed to interact with
the TreeView exclusively.  However, in a larger window (say, a main
application window), the search happening because the user didn't happen
to have the TreeView unfocused gets really annoying.  There I can see
the use for a "Search" button that triggers the dialog.

Joel

--

The zen have a saying:
"When you learn how to listen, ANYONE can be your teacher."

			http://www.jlbec.org/
			jlbec evilplan org