Re: GTK+-2.x planning

On Wed, 2002-03-13 at 04:08, Fabricio Barros Cabral wrote:

Hi,

> What do you think implement the Canvas support to GTK+? Actually, I use
> the GnomeCanvas library for this, but I think better that Canvas support
> for GTK+.
>
> I look in the Internet, and I found five implementations for Canvas:
>
> - GnomeCanvas
> - DiaCanvas
> - Dia-newcanvas
> - Sodipodi Canvas
> - GtkCanvas (basically the re-writte for GnomeCanvas)

DiaCanvas,  dia-newcanvas and Sodipodi canvas are tailored for specific
tasks. DiaCanvas and Sodipodi canvas are using the GnomeCanvas for
visualization.

> And I think that we can resolve this, implementing the Canvas support to
> GTK+ library (GtkCanvas objects).

Adding the GnomeCanvas to GTK+ (as GtkCanvas) seems like a good idea.
AFAICS there are no specific GNOME dependencies with the Gnome
libraries, since image and font support are now part of GTK+.

> An example:
>
> http://www.atai.org/gtk-canvas/
>

> And now, I have a question: (sorry if seem a stupid idea)
>
> Why the GObject library not is used in the GLib objects? For example:
>
> GObject
>    +-GList
>    +-GSList
>    +-GTree
>

> And implement more methods to GObject, for example:
>
> /* Test is two objects are equals. */
> gboolean	(*equal)	(GObject *object1, GObject *object2);
>
> /* Duplicate the Object */
> GObject*	(*clone)	(GObject *object1);
>

> I think these ideas more OO-like, like Java API.

What's the advantage?

Regards,

Arjan