Re: GTK+-2.x planning

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> I'm worried that we don't have a clear idea how large a task "all
> remaining keynav" is. Maybe someone could summarize bugzilla on this?

Okay, here's a quick summary of all the keynav issues I'm currently
aware of, other than shortcuts and accelerators being broken on Solaris
:)   I'm aware that GtkTextView, GtkTreeView and GtkNotebook in
particular have been fixed up since I last went through and tested them
against the keynav proposal, so the reports for those three widgets are
probably somewhat pessimistic.

Summary of open GNOME 2.0 keynav bugs - 13/3/02

In the list below, bugs raised directly against the keynav proposals are
followed by two numbers in brackets:

- the first number shows the number of proposed keystrokes that
currently follow the proposal
- the second number shows the of proposed keystrokes that are currently
not implemented, implemented differently from the proposal, or have not
yet been tested.

Within each section, I've ordered the bugs roughly according to how I
think they should be prioritised-- note that this is purely my opinion
based on the impact of not fixing them, it doesn't necessarily reflect
the priorities currently assigned within bugzilla.

GTK-2.0

Bugs against keynav proposal, in approximate order of priority (highest
first):

53934 KEYNAV: GtkTextView (12, 10) -- but several fixes since last test,
need to re-assess current state
54047 KEYNAV: GtkToolbar (0, 5)
53543 KEYNAV: GtkMenuBar (4, 6)
53579 KEYNAV: GtkCombo (10, 6) -- being replaced in gtk-2.4, worth
fixing?
73103 Unable to use GtkCombo with just the keyboard
74223 Keypad keys Pgup/Dn & Home/End don't work on Solaris [gedit
68963 Ctrl+PgUp/Ctrl+PgDown "bounce" at ends of short lines
53544 KEYNAV: GtkMenu (4, 2), GtkMenuItem (4, 2), GtkCheckBoxMenuItem
(4, 2), GtkRadioButtonMenuItem (4, 2)
53709 KEYNAV: GtkButton (4, 2)
Not Filed: GtkOptionMenu (7, 2)
74221 gedit2 Esc key activates Close button.

Other gtk keynav bugs, in approximate order of priority (highest first):

74133 spinbutton callback bug in gtk+-2.0.0
74267 Numerous outstanding keynav/usability niggles (gtkfilesel)
63480 scrolled window keyboard scrolling
63844 Fix focus/keynav for child widgets of GtkTextView
70372 Keynav and insensitive menu items
70373 Add function to select first item in a menu
59707 Need keynav for selectable labels.
60690 Behavior of left and right arrwos strange when widgets are v

Libgnomeui

Bugs against keynav proposal, in approximate order of priority (highest
first):

61707 GnomeIconList needs to be useable from the keyboard (3, 23)
70200 KEYNAV: GnomeDateEdit (5, 4)
70201 KEYNAV: GnomeDruid (0, 2)
70270 KEYNAV: GNOME About dialog (1, 2)

NotFiled: I think GnomeColorPicker (4, 1), GnomeFontPicker (4, 1),
GnomeIconEntry (4, 1) and GnomeHref (4, 1) are all derived from
GtkButton, so fixing GtkButton should fix them.

NotFiled: GnomeEntry (8, 9) is just a GtkEntry with history
capabilities, so fixing #53579 should fix it.

NotFiled: GnomeFileEntry and GnomePixmapEntry need an access key on
their Browse buttons, even if it's just Alt+B on all of them
(since gtk-2.0.0 now handles duplicated mnemonics sensibly)

Other libgnomeui keynav bugs:

72218 tooltips and atk names for gnome-about

Panel

Bugs against panel keynav proposal:

None

Other panel keynav bugs, in approximate order of priority (highest
first):

70110 Panel keybindings don't detect Alt/Meta keys
73741 Some panel menu right-click usability issues
73357 Applet should have focus when panel is focussed
13119 wishlist: Keyboard shortcuts for panel menus
70692 Usability problems with Launcher Props dialog
72008 The items on the Applications and Actions menus should have
74245 Panel shortcut menu suggestions

Sawfish

Bugs against keynav proposal:

70071 Need to be able to get to panel using keyboard

Other sawfish bugs:

70884 Menus popped oup with keyboard don't have the first element

GtkHTML2

Bugs against keynav proposal, in approximate order of priority (highest
first):

73884 Unpredictable Tab key behaviour
73639 KEYNAV Suggested navigation keybindings for gtkhtml2 (18, 11)

Other gtkhtml2 keynav bugs:

74368 Problems with keynav when using using yelp (patch submitted)

Keynav bugs in other GNOME modules

74220 gedit2's keynav select and deselect keys broken.
73501 terminal console loose focus to tab when terminal is clicked
73805 Prefs dialog needs help
73817 gdm looses keyboard focus after username entry with the new

Following keynav bugs are all marked Resolved or Closed -- but need to
re-test as some still don't fully match keynav spec:

GTK-2.0.0

Bugs against keynav proposal, in approximate order of priority (highest
first):

53580 KEYNAV: GtkTreeView (As list: 10, 22) (As tree: 12, 24) - but jrb
has fixed recently, need to retest
72187 Page up/down is broken
74352 Keynav: GtkCheckButton (3, 2)
53763 KEYNAV: GtkEntry (12, 3)
53612 KEYNAV: GtkNotebook (5, 5) -- think this has also been fixed up
recently, need to retest
53577 KEYNAV: GtkToggleButton (3, 1), GtkCheckButton (3, 2),
GtkRadioButton (3, 1)
53581 KEYNAV: GtkScale (5, 0) -- fully working at last test
53614 KEYNAV: GtkTooltip (2, 0) -- fully working at last test
53584 KEYNAV: GtkPaned (5, 0) -- fully working at last test
61866 Treeview search shortcut shouldn't be ctrl-s

Other gtk keynav bugs, in approximate order of priority (highest first):

60630 Cursor position not always displayed in GtkTextView
59708 Scroll to cursor on focus
57743 GtkEntry should select text on tab in
53807 GTK menu shortcuts should use "Ctrl" and "Shift"
15282 C-w vs. M-Del: same behavior?

Libgnomeui

Bugs against keynav proposal:

70204 gnome-about can't be navigated using the keyboard (duplicate of
#70270?)
71832 gnome-about cannot be used with just keyboard (duplicate of
#70270?)

Other libgnomeui keynav bugs:

69552 Gnome Popup should popup a menu when the menu button is pres

Panel

Bugs against panel keynav proposal:

72952 Problem with keynav on panel with applet in different proces

Other panel keynav bugs, in approximate order of priority (highest
first):

61527 exisiting menu/panel editing system in not accessible
70621 focus for run dialog in panel
69528 Unable to get keyboard navigation to work with applets in pa
70512 "Run program" dialog: HIG conformance
70798 Unable to use keyboard with pager

Keynav bugs in other GNOME modules

72501 alt-v does not work in the preferences window for gnome-cd
71850 Menu structure - proposed redesign for HIG compliance
65564 Clean gnome-terminal's menu structure.
71917 Tooltip does not appear near to the button in gnome-calculat