Re: ANNOUNCE: pygtk-1.99.8

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 08:53:28PM +0100, Daniel Egger wrote:
> Am Mit, 2002-03-20 um 19.13 schrieb Thomas Leonard:
>
> > Eg, this program:
> >
> > 	import gtk
> > 	w = gtk.GtkWindow()
>
> > is correct if the 1.2 bindings are installed, but incorrect once 2.0 is
> > installed. Whereas, this:
> >
> > 	import gtk
> > 	w = gtk.Window()
>
> If your problem is just to distinguish between them you might want
> to check the list of exported symbols for a method or function which is
> only available in the recent version.

A few problems with that:

- All existing software (written before 2.0) still breaks when 2.0 is
  installed.

- Developers have to write twice as much code, since every Gtk call has to
  be written in the 1.2 and 2.0 forms.

- Noone can install 2.0 until every single program has been upgraded to
  2.0. Therefore, noone will use the 2.0 version for a long time, and
  developers have no incentive to develop for it.

I'm really looking for a language where I can just say "install this
package and then you can run the program".

--
Thomas Leonard			http://rox.sourceforge.net
tal00r ecs soton ac uk		tal197 users sourceforge net