Re: patch for GtkDialog

James Willcox <jwillcox cs indiana edu> writes:

> I have attached a patch that fixes bug #74221.  Maybe there is a better
> solution (it could return GTK_RESPONSE_CANCEL, I guess).  Let me know if
> this is ok.

My opinion is that in practice, if you make this change then NO dialog
will have Escape, even those that _do_ have cancel buttons. I don't
think it's realistic to expect people to special-case dialogs with
cancel vs. non-cancel. So in making a decision we may want to keep
that in mind. Adding an Escape shortcut manually would be decidedly
nontrivial with current API.

Also, if we remove Escape (and I don't really know that we should,
people somewhat expect this shortcut as a guaranteed way to close any
dialog without reading it), there definitely has to be Ctrl+w or
something along those lines.  Interestingly, the shortcut here could
be implemented in the window manager, which would make it apply to any
app with dialogs not just gtk apps...

Havoc