GtkComboBox design -- first draft

After the discussion on gtk-devel-list and a discussion with Owen on
IRC, I decided to write something down and post it to the list. This is
just something to start with and far from perfect. Though I hope it's a
step in the right direction.

Suggestions/comments/etc are very welcome.

thanks,

	Kris

======

Design & API
------------

The base combo box, GtkComboBox, will become the base of the new combo
box/option menu framework. The "click widget and "drop down widget" will be
construct-only properties, so subclasses of GtkComboBox are able to replace
those.

GtkComboBox will be a non-editable combo box. A style property will be
provided to switch between "Windows-style" (using a list) and "UNIX-style"
(using a menu). The API will of course be the same and the style property
is meant to be used by themes only. This way we support both Windows-like and
UNIX-like themes, while providing the same API for the programmer.

In order to provide the combo box with data, we use the following functions to
hook up a model:

    void gtk_combo_box_set_model          (GtkComboBox      *combo_box,
                                           GtkTreeModel     *model);
    void gtk_combo_box_pack_start         (GtkComboBox      *combo_box,
                                           GtkCellRenderer  *renderer,
                                           gboolean          expand);
    void gtk_combo_box_pack_end           (GtkComboBox      *combo_box,
                                           GtkCellRenderer  *cell,
                                           gboolean          expand);
    void gtk_combo_box_clear              (GtkComboBox      *combo_box);
    void gtk_combo_box_get_cell_renderers (GtkComboBox      *combo_box);
    void gtk_combo_box_set_attributes     (GtkComboBox      *combo_box,
                                           GtkCellRenderer  *renderer,
                                           ...);
    void gtk_combo_box_add_attribute      (GtkComboBox      *combo_box,
                                           GtkCellRenderer  *renderer,
                                           const gchar      *attribute,
                                           gint              column);
    void gtk_combo_box_clear_attributes   (GtkComboBox      *combo_box,
                                           GtkCellRenderer  *renderer);
    void gtk_combo_box_set_spacing        (GtkComboBox      *combo_box,
                                           gint              spacing);
    void gtk_combo_box_get_spacing        (GtkComboBox      *combo_box);

These functions will just work like their counterparts in GtkTreeViewColumn.
In the list-mode we will use a GtkTreeView displaying the list as "drop down
widget", and a widget rendering the cell as "click widget". In the menu-mode,
we will use a special GtkMenuItem (which renders the cell) in a menu and a
widget rendering the cell as "click widget".

We can use something like this to get the selected item:

    GtkTreePath *gtk_combo_box_get_selected (GtkComboBox  *combo_box);

The only useful signal I can think of at this moment is ::item_selected. I
don't see much use in providing signals like ::dropped_down.

Recent discussions at gtk-devel-list indicated that there's a need to support
grids of items, including row/column spanning. This is doable for the
menu-style, but nearly impossible for the list-style. Because of that I think
it's better to provide a GtkComboBoxGrid. Advantages:

* we don't have to deal with the gridding-in-menus-and-lists problem
* we move the gridding API out of the base class

This combo box can support arbitrary widgets. The idea is to use a GtkTable
as "drop down widget" and the selected GtkWidget as "click widget". Because of
the arbitrary widget support, this widget will have to disable the
drag-and-release selection method in the base GtkComboBox.

Possible API:

    void gtk_combo_box_grid_set_size (GtkComboBoxGrid  *combo_grid,
                                      guint             row,
                                      guint             columns);
    void gtk_combo_box_grid_attach   (GtkComboBoxGrid  *combo_grid,
                                      GtkWidget        *child,
                                      gboolean          selectable,
                                      guint             left_attach,
                                      guint             right_attach,
                                      guint             top_attach,
                                      guint             bottom_attach,
                                      GtkAttachOptions  xoptions,
                                      GtkAttachOptions  yoptions);
    void gtk_combo_box_grid_remove   (GtkComboBoxGrid  *combo_grid,
                                      GtkWidget        *child);

    GtkWidget *gtk_combo_box_grid_get_selected (GtkComboBoxGrid *combo_grid);

We don't use a GtkTreeModel here to fill the combo box. This is in fact
possible with a custom GtkTreeModel, but you would have to fill about 8
columns, which isn't very convenient to use.

There may be a use here for more functions from GtkTable, like
_set/get_homogeneous. Of course programmers can get a reference to the
GtkTable widget the combo uses, but we want to keep programmers from poking
in the internals.

Another useful combo box is a GtkComboBoxText. This one uses a menu or list as
"drop down widget" depending on the style property and uses a GtkEntry (or a
GtkEntryCompletion, with completion/history support?) as child widget.

This combo box doesn't need much other API, as you can add entries through the
GtkTreeModel. Though we need some API for the history/completion code, or to
interface with a 'GtkEntryCompletion' if we decide to put the
history/completion code directly into a special entry.

GAL's stack combo box is another candidate. Though I think this is a
specialized case and won't be used much, so it shouldn't be in GTK+. Please
correct me if I'm wrong here :).

UI
--

The UI for the UNIX-style menu-like combo box is pretty clear. I think it
should just look like the current GtkOptionMenu. The Windows-style combo box

Another issue is whether the drop-down widget should be tearable. Yes, no or
configurable?