Re: GNOME CVS: gtk+ yosh

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 08:12:43PM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

> IMHO including anything but <gtk/gtk.h> from outside of GTK+ should be
> considered a bug. It would be best to change the GTK+ headers so that
> they spill out evil warnings if someone tries to do so (just like
> GObject does if you include anything but glib-object.h).

Ouch.  I would not prefer that.  gobject has a small clear mandate,
gtk+ is large and growing.  Requiring gtk/gtk.h in any header that
include GtkWidget will be a significant increase in compile time.

In gnumeric and libgsf I've taken to having a central header
with all the typedefs and basic enums (eg gnumeric.h or gsf.h) then
having the implementations include the necessary specifics.  This
helps to keep me honest about interactions between objects.
Obviously that would break compatibility rather thoroughly in gtk,
so I missed the boat back before 1.0, but its always nice to dream.