Re: gtk 1.2 and 2.0 file selector when / is not readable

Frederic Crozat wrote:
Le mar 10/09/2002 à 19:11, Frederic Crozat a écrit :

Hi all,

while fixing remaining bugs for Mandrake 9.0, I've discovered a "nice"
in GTK+ File Selector for both 1.2 and 2.0 :

as root, just do chmod o-r /

as a normal user, create a temporary directory (mkdir foobar), go to
this directory (cd foobar), start a gtk application which use
gtkfileselector (for instead gedit)

while this application is running, remove the directory and try to open
file selector => gtk starts a infinite loop which try to eat all
available memory (well, OOM kills it..)

We are seeing this on all Mandrake system using High Security
restrictions, aka msec 4 (or 5).

Another test case it to use a non readable current directory with / not
readable..

The following patches try to fix the problem by fallbacking to home dir
if "/" is not readable and exiting if home dir is not readable (or
available)..

This isn't directed at Frederick, but I've wanted to address an issue and this
seems as appropriate as anything.

Admins such as myself have real problems with the gtk fileselector (and nautilus)
continually steering users to the home directory.  I no longer have the luxury of
intelligent users, and there are _way_ too many configuration files in a users
home directory to have them randomly thrashing away there.

I would like to have a different paradigm than a home directory (like a work directory)
that uses a different environment variable than $HOME.  If that environment variable
isn't set the working directory can fall back to $HOME.