Re: Independent image loaders in gdk-pixbuf

From: Jody Goldberg <jody gnome org>

> In order to demonstrate the usefulness of independent loaders, the
> patch also includes an svg loader based on librsvg. As mentioned
> above, this can't be included in gdk-pixbuf.
This sounds very useful.  I'd love to see something similar done
with libwmf and potentially and whatever EMF library when end up
with (even if its via conversion to SVG).

Yeah, this is definitely cool. The CVS version of librsvg (as opposed to version 2.0.1 shipped with GNOME 2) is quite capable of viewing a good percentage of the SVGs out there and if we can have any gdk-pixbuf aware application transparently support (to some degree) WMF, EMF, and SVG, we'll win big.

We in the AbiWord team have been working on WMF and EMF support too. WMF supports writing to both SVG, PNG, and other formats. EMF is in the works, but will support at least a SVG output. I'm thinking that perhaps an intermediate SVG representation might be preferable here, since WMF and EMF are also vector formats.

> Perhaps it could find a home in librsvg ?
That seems like a logical place for it.

Please send any patches of RSVG to me. I'd love for something like this to get included. cinamod hotmail com or doml appligent com You can also contact me for any WMF or EMF related issues.

I did not read the patch, but would appreciate an overview of the
run time cost of finding the available set of loaders.  What handles
the registry ?

On a side note, is there any way to get the list of available importer and export formats, via mime-type or extension or something? This would be really useful for a few things that we AbiWord developers want to do, and a few planned extensions to librsvg's "test-rsvg" program, which I plan on shipping separately. Ideally, I'd like to say something similar to "svg2raster --type=image/png file.svg"

Dom