Re: launch feedback status update

From: Rodney Dawes <dobey free fr>
> Why do you insist on associating launch feedback with window management?
> Having an app launch on workspace 3 and having it come up there is a
> completely different issue. xalf is not "robust" in that it does exactly
> what it says it does. It does launch feedback, not workspace matching.
>
> Anything beyond what xalf currently does, probably is not real launch
> feedback, and is at a much higher level, and so probably should be
> implemented in a toolkit/wm/etc...

 It should be rather called 'launching apps' or whatever better fitting name
you can think of rather then 'launch feedback'. Making sure app launched on
desktop 3 will be shown on desktop 3 is part of launching the app (and it's
actually the reason I wrote the current implementation for KDE, that icon
next to cursor is just a side-effect :)  ). Do you have any better idea how
to do that besides 'hey, I'm launching xapp, it has icon xappicon and it
should appear on desktop 3'?

 (Please keep xdg-list freedesktop org CC-ed for any further non-GNOME
specific discussion, I'm not subscribed to GNOME lists).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer