Re: 2.4 features - Indenting container

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 09:38:04AM +0100, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> I think it's generally agreed now that we need a new container for right,
> left, top, and bottom indentation. This would make it much easier to
> implement the HIG recommendations. We could hack this into an existing
> widget as a new property I suppose, but it seems much simpler to create a
> new container.

Sorry to be so late on this, but is there a good reason this HIG
guideline isn't being controlled on the theme level with GtkFrame?
Aside from the added confusion of using a different widget for grouping
subwidgets depending on how you want your UI to *look*, it also makes it
more difficult for Windows-based themes to look right.

If you look at these screen shots:
  http://gtk-wimp.sourceforge.net/screenshots/
The XP-native is actually getting pretty close to a normal Windows XP
program.  But the bold headers and indented widgets really stick out.
If they were using a GtkFrame, it could look right on both systems.

(This is a separate issue from whether an indentation widget is useful for
other reasons; I have no problem with that.)

--
      Evan Martin
martine cs washington edu