RE: status icon API

> And in cases where the existing api has only "foo_from_pixmap
> (filename), I'd like to see additional (preferred) API with
> "foo_named_from_pixmap (name, filename)"  or similar.

I really can't see the point in this.  Are you suggesting that the image
should be cached in someway so there can be an API to set the status icon
image by name instead of pixbuf, hence not loading the pixbuf EVERY time?

That to me is the only possible advantage to this? Is there another?

Regards,
Martyn