Re: Scintilla GTK2 profiling results

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 06:33, Biswapesh Chattopadhyay wrote:
> Sorry for the cross-post, but I though it might be helpful is the issues
> are discussed with feedback from both Neil as well as GTK2 developers.
>
> Scintilla GTK2 version with Pango seems quite a bit slower than the
> plain GTK1 counterpart. So I did a quick profiling using KCachegrind to
> identify the bottlenecks. The test case was to fire SciTE with a C++
> source file as parameter and ensure that the file is fully loaded and
> displayed with styling. The application was then closed immediately.
>
> Platform: RedHat 8.0 + XFree86 4.3 (build from CVS source) + GNOME 2.2
> (built from jhbuild) + CVS scintilla + scite

Could you check that you are using the current CVS version of Pango
(either pango-1-2 or HEAD branches) the numbers below look more like
what I'd expect from pango-1.2.1.

pango_fc_font_map_get_patterns() shouldn't have much cumulative time
it with the current code, unless you are testing with a very small
sample of text, or possibly exceeding Pango's cache size.

[kcachegrind is indeed a nice tool. I spent quite a bit of time looking
at pango-1.2.1 with it a month or two ago]