Re: http://people.redhat.com/otaylor/fosdem2003/file-selector.html

On Sun, 2003-04-20 at 02:30, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm not sure when this was posted, or if any of this was already
> discussed, but I was reading over what was written at:
>
>     http://people.redhat.com/otaylor/fosdem2003/file-selector.html
>
> And, I thought I'd throw in some more things you might want to
> consider.
>
>     (1) It would be useful if there was a "Directory Selector"
>         Dialog window.  This would let you choose a "directory"
>         (as opposed to a "file").  (Maybe a GtkDirectoryChooser.)

Yes, that's there. (As just a boolean property "folder_mode" on
the widget, instead of an entirely different widget.)

>     (2) Being able to open a file (or whatever) as another user
>         would be useful.  For example, if I want to edit a file
>         owned by someone else, it would be useful if I could
>         tell the UI, "open this file as user X"... and the
>         GtkFileChooser would popup a "password box" or something
>         like that.

Sounds sort of neat. No clue at all how it could possibly be
implemented. It's basically outside the scope of this project.

A backend that encapsulated file operations (that's not
part of the file selector) could ask for a password on an
attempt to access a file without read permissions ... that's
basically the same thing as asking for a password for
remote access ... but  tracking those permissions in order to
be able to save the file again sounds impractical to me.