Re: [gsl-dev] GTK+ v FLTK

 --- Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> wrote: > Hi,

> On gtk-devel-list we have no context - is this a serious conversation
> about changing OO.o toolkit, or just people speculating? ;-)

This is serious discussion in the context of 'toolkit 2' - see
http://gsl.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?dcID=848&action=download

> On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 08:51:23AM +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > 	In a word - no. Gtk+ provides a graphics device abstraction just like
> > any other toolkit; that runs fine, even well on Win32.
> >

> It is an "emulating" toolkit rather than wrapping native widgets but
> all full-featured toolkits are (Swing, Qt, VCL).
>
> > > I'm not saying that FLTK is the way to go (I don't think so at all),
> > > but only that in a contest between GTK+ and FLTK, I would give the nod
> > > to FLTK for the future needs of OO.
>
> Speaking as an expert in the domain of desktop development on UNIX, I
> feel I can categorically state that using FLTK is Wrong (tm).  The big
> win from changing toolkits for OO.o would be to sync up with the
> look-and-feel and behaviors and UI work and a11y work and i18n work of
> one of the three major toolkits (gtk, qt, swing).  If you're not going
> to do that, why bother changing.

There are valid reasons to change irregardless of syncing up with any of
the 'in the wild' toolkits. I'm not sure VCL is missing much as things
stand from the a11y and i18n angles as things stand, actually, i think its much
better than say qt ATM

> Havoc

Yahoo! Plus
For a better Internet experience