Re: [gsl-dev] GTK+ v FLTK

I believe people have looked at the 'vcl using gtk theme engine/drawing
api' in the past, I believe one could do it now, and not wait for
toolkit2. It would give you a correctly theming and drawing but not really
gtk looking (except for small details like widget looks) app.

Examine the approach of Neo:

http://www.neooffice.org

And yes, you will need to look at the source if you want to move beyond the binary and the "it's drawing the Aqua buttons but without changing VCL and how is it doing it?" stage. It adds in an additional abstraction to the OutputDevice class for drawing requests for full controls on top of the standard geometric primitives of a functional drawing layer. E.g., it is possible for code to request "hey you, draw a button with the following label here" and (alebit with a little better architecting) it draws the button in whatever underlying mechanism it wants, be it through a native widget, native bitmap draw requests (current approach in Neo), or the existing VCL abstraction. Through using adaptations of this API it's incredibly easy to provide platform specific widget appearances, swappable widget set appearances through swapping libvcl on installation or choosing between different OutputDevice implementations at runtime.

There is absolutely NO reason we need to move to GTK or ANY OTHER "cross-platform" toolkit for the sheer purpose of drawing buttons in the appearance of a specific platform and widget set. The Neo prototype proves this point in a rather self-evident fashion of OOo running on top of a completely different widget set from its core implementation, not to mention pure native widgets in an AWT peer similar fashion for menus.

ed