Re: [gsl-dev] GTK+ v FLTK

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 04:53:28PM +0100, Sander Vesik wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Dov Grobgeld wrote:
> > Excuse me if I'm wrong, but I believe the issue gets harder once
> > you get into l10n issues. Even if you don't use Gtk+ you would have
> > to call Pango in order to use its rendering of complex scripts that
> > are painted on top of the buttons. Or reimplement that functionality
> > in your toolkit, which sounds like a complete waste of time.
> >

> That functionality already exists.

I'm curious exactly what functionality? E.g. I wrote the pango module
for Hebrew that uses heavy heuristics for placement of the "vowel accents".
Does VCL have the same functionality?  I'm sure there are similar
heuristics in other language modules. I doubt that two different
implementations will have the same rules and thus may look slightly
different. Even if you have "the same functionality" as pango, both
systems will have the problem of tracking one another. Using pango
from OOo would solve that.

Of course with OpenType fonts with proper GSUB and GPOS tables you don't
need much heuristics anymore and the problem gets smaller. But do we
only want to support such fonts?

Dov