Re: gtk_message_dialog_new_with_markup() revisited

Am Mit, 2003-08-13 um 16.31 schrieb Owen Taylor:
> *However*, any extension to printf() syntax, whether new formats
> character or a new flag, removes the ability to use G_GNUC_PRINTF() and
> that is pretty much a killer objection from my perspective. Those
> warnings are just too valuable to give up.
>
> We could hijack %#s which has no standard meaning; gcc passes that
> currently. But I'm not sure that we can count on that for the future.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about that. Yes, loosing those warnings would be
bad.

So maybe your idea is better, although I still don't like the fact that
it makes %s in gtk_message_dialog_new_with_markup() behave differently
from every other printf()-like function in glib and gtk. If this trap is
really so bad, then maybe we should just remove
gtk_message_dialog_new_with_markup() and add
gtk_message_dialog_set_markup() instead ?

Matthias