im-modules + binutils 2.11 + gcc 3.3 (Was: gucharmap makes..)

Noah Levitt wrote:

> What version of gcc, etc? I'm on debian unstable,
> gcc (GCC) 3.3.2 20030812 (Debian prerelease)
> and I can't reproduce the segfault with -O3.
>
> Noah
>
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 16:44:22 +0100, Frank Boehme wrote:
> >
> > Well, yesterday I did a lot of recompiles and gdb sessions and now I am
> > positive that with gcc 3.3, the switch -O3 (or -On wuth n > 2) will
> > miscompile *any* gtk input module, including gucharmap.so. So mu problem
> > is not specific to gucharmap at all. At least that is my situation.

Ok, I did not take the time to hunt it down completely, but I now know
that this must be a problem with some prog from binutils.

I had:

gcc 3.3 (bootstrapped from GNU source) and binutils 2.11 (from Mandrake
8.2, old)

and with that combination I always had the same problem: as soon as -O3
was in CFLAGS, then  the function g_open_module() does not what it
should do. The errors were various but in all cases
gtk-query-immodules-2.0 always failed with SIGSEGV.

A typical symptom for this thing is that 'make' of GTK, Pango or
gucharmap goes w/o error but' make install' terminates with "no modules
found". If 'make install' is called for a 2nd time then it goes w/o
error and the unsuspecting user may think he got a working installation.
In that case, you get for example an empty file for
[PREFIX]/etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules which and even if that is fixed by
hand the modules will (of course) segfault.

I upgraded to binutils 2.14 and now I can build with -O3.

So I would suggest to autoconf-constrain binutils >= 2.13 (2.13 worked
as well for me).

Since I could not find any reports about this, I guess the bug only
occurs in combination with gcc 3.3 (otherwise, more ppl should have seen
this).

Frank

Frank

--
Dr Frank Boehme                      | Email: f boehme cs ucc ie
National University of Ireland, Cork | phone: +353-21-4903163

Please avoid mailing Word or Power Point attachments.