Re: A proposal for units in GTK+

Hi Keith,

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 08:11, Keith Packard wrote:
> I've done some thinking along these lines and thought I'd chime in with my
> misinformed opinions.

	Ha; so - not as misinformed as mine.

	So - all this stuff about angular eye slicing, virtual inches,
foot-pounds etc. is well beyond me; however in OO.o there are some
people that think when you are at 100% zoom - in the ideal world you
should be able to hold your printout up to the (flat etc.) screen and
see the perfect parity between the printed and on-screen page [ if your
monitor isn't lying about it's DPI ].

	It seems to me with an angular perspective, that instead you have to
press the sheet of paper to some virtual plane between yourself and the
display (or beyond) - is that so ?

	And/or is it a reasonable thing to want this behavior ? and if so -
would it be sensible to have a "believe the monitor really" setting in
the Gnome font settings 'Font rendering details' dialog ?

	Either way - I'm well in favour of the status quo in our OO.o - just
using the XGetDefault and falling back to the DPI, but others are
thinking differently; insight appreciated.

	Thanks,

		Michael.

(rudely quoting lots of noise for Chris (and the OO.o list's sake)):