GtkResizeGrip

I think a GtkResizeGrip would be a good idea for 2.4, but maybe only
as an internal widget.

Such a widget would make it possible to fix bug 73359 in a reasonably
clean way, and it would make it possible to add a resize grip to the
corner of a scrolled window, something which is useful when the window
is resizable, but you don't need a status bar.

Also, you can have resize grips on the lists that pop down from combo
boxes. The list box of Internet Explorer's location field has such a
resize grip.

If we have a public GtkResizeGrip, the main problem I can see is what
to do in an RTL environment. If the user puts a resize grip in the
right corner of a window, what will happen when the window flips? The
resize grip will not look and behave correctly on the other side of
the window unless it somehow knows that it has been moved to the other
side.

Maybe the solution is as simple as "just do the opposite when the grip
is in RTL mode", but it might be a little confusing that a SOUTH_EAST
grip will look and feel like a SOUTH_WEST grip in RTL mode.

Another solution is to just make the resize grip symmetrically so that
the same appearance can be used in either side. This doesn't solve the
problem for themes that try to emulate other toolkits that use
assymetric resize grips.

Søren