Re: A proposal for units in GTK+

On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 22:30, Noah Levitt wrote:
> CSS seems to define an em as the font's height.
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1#length-units
>
> H1 { margin: 0.5em }      /* ems, the height of the element's font */
>
> Noah

The foremost tool for writing scalable style sheets is the "em" unit,
and it therefore goes on top of the list of guidelines that we will
compile throughout this chapter: use ems to make scalable style sheets.
Named after the letter "M", the em unit has a long-standing tradition in
typography where it has been used to measure horizontal widths. For
example, the long dash often found in American texts (--) is known as
"em-dash" since it historically has had the same width as the letter
"M". Its narrower cousin (-), often found in European texts is similarly
referred to as "en-dash".

 The meaning of "em" has changed over the years. Not all fonts have the
letter "M" in them (for example Chinese), but all fonts have a height.
The term has therefore come to mean the height of the font - not the
width of the letter "M".

http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/css2em.htm